Thursday, February 21, 2019


I had the task of checking out this game Adventure Cave
and was very entertained for a few hours. This game/story reminds me of those choose your own adventure books from when I was a kid. I remember those books because they always made me feel like I oversaw what was going to happen in the story and was a part of it. This different type of digital story-line is very similar yet more interactive. I assumed this was a pretty new type of writing but read that it is not,"...with a game called Spacewar, 
 
an early storytelling engine that dates back to the 1960s" (Alexander 17) I think this is a very interesting way to tell a story albeit a little confusing. What I like about this type of story telling is you have choices along the way and the outcomes differ on what choices you make. Its not like other storytelling where the ending and every turn along the way is already set up for you. It feels more like a game then just reading a story which makes it more fun to interact with.  Brian Alexander says that this game was made,” … to entertain his caving-happy children in 1975” (Alexander 19), which is very impressive because I’m an adult who had some difficulties with it. I like how it combines the story telling with gaming as stated,” Both combined stories and play, narrative with gaming.” (Alexander 19)


Alexander, Bryan. The New Digital Storytelling: Creating Narratives with New Media. Prager, 2017.  http://www.briankhudson.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Screen-Shot-2019-02-19-at-11.03.58-PM.png

Crowther, Willie. “Colossal Cave Adventure.” Halt and Catch Fire https://www.amc.com/shows/halt-and-catch-fire/exclusives/colossal-cave-adventure
Viewed February 20, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment