Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Blended Life

Four years ago I thought I was almost done raising kids because my only child was 14. I now have three step children who call me mom ranging in age from 5 to 14. I also now have a four month old infant who has joined our blended family. Its crazy the things that have changed since my son was an infant. I have found that being older and having a newborn in the house is a lot easier than when you are 21. I thought when I became a mother the first time that the newborn stage was the hardest but this time around I didn't want it to end. Grayson is the name of our new child, he is such a happy baby and always has a smile for me. My kids range in age from 4 months to 17 so there is always something happening in my house. My 17 year old son has just realized that being social and going out might be fun. I am really happy about this because he used to just always sit in his room and play on his Xbox. I like that he is getting out and making friends and having experiences. I was so afraid that he would never make friends or want to go out with them. It took a lot to get him there he has a bit of social anxiety but has seem to finally overcome it. I think a lot of my experiences raising my first child are going to help me raising the other four but, I've also learned that every kid is different.  Some things and lessons that my son learned easily are harder for the other ones so I have to learn as well and adapt. Taking care of and supporting 5 growing children is not easy and at times I think I will never make it to the last one graduating and going off to college but I know deep down that I will. One thing I can say about my blended family is that although its hard and seems never ending, I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. My step children have become my children and depend on me just as much as my other two.

11 comments:

  1. Your kids are so cute!! What are you studying here at CNM? How has it been so far? Congratulations on your new baby boy. I love going to Los Lunas to see my Aunts who live there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I originally wanted to get a degree in nursing but now I am weighing my options. Thanks so much for your comment, I love it here in Los Lunas. I dont really like big cities and Albuquerque is pretty big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Lisa! Your story really illustrates the challenges and rewards of a blended family. I have to ask about the picture: Are the older siblings pretending to cry to tease the baby? I'm guessing so. That picture definitely has a story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Yes the baby started crying and wouldn't stop so my 5 year old said that they should just pretend to cry with him so they could take the picture. Really she just wanted to go play and get the pictures over with but it ended up pretty cute.

      Delete
  4. Love the picture of the kids crying, it's so cute!

    I bet it's fun to observe the different personalities each one of your kids have and it's great that your 17 year old realized that being social and going out can be fun. It's easy to get sucked into video games these days and being 17 is a great time to socialize and hang out with others.

    It's never too late to start over and you should be proud of yourself for making the choice to go back to school and for following through with it.

    Also, I love to binge watch reality TV as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you its really easy to get sucked into video games. He did nothing but play Xbox for about 6 years, but that is partly my fault as well. Thanks so much for the compliment. It was a tough decision but I'm glad I followed through with it.

      Delete
  5. Your kids are adorable. One year my mom tried to make my siblings and I take Christmas photos for Christmas cards and we were all balling our eyes out by the end, very similar to your photo. She just gave up and used the ones of us all crying and put the caption "you better watch out, you better not cry, better not pout i'm telling you why..., Merry Christmas, from the Swanbergs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks they are a handful but I think I'll keep them lol. That is a really good idea on the Christmas cards, I wish i would have thought of it.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a busy household but that's never a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely is busy, but there is always something to laugh about in my house. You would be amazed by the things they say and get into.

    ReplyDelete